19 Comments

1. Steve Evans

Hi,
    I found this succinct and useful advice. Would you mind if I alerted my students to it as part of a course about publishing?
    Regards,
    Steve

2. Krishan

Hi Steve. That would be wonderful – please feel free to share this article with anybody you’d like.

3. mommycookforme

Hi, I read your useful advise and thank you for your information!

4. 100scenarios

Welcome and useful advice.

5. Leslie

This is very helpful, but I’m curious about flash fiction; should one follow the manuscript guidelines for short stories or for poetry?

6. Krishan

Glad you found it useful, Leslie. I’d use the standard manuscript format for short stories for any piece of prose, no matter how short it is. Hope that helps!

7. Marilyn

Hello,

I’m just starting out with submitting to magazines and this article is wonderful and incredibly helpful. Submitting stories can be a very intimidating process so I appreciate this guidance.

Thank you!

8. Lisa Carroll-Hall

Hi,
    I have just come across your website accidentally. What a find! I have written some poetry which has not yet been submitted, mainly due to the fact I hadn’t researched how. Thank you for the tips and guidance – reading this has inspired me to do it!

9. Dollar Bits (@DollarBits)

Very interesting article. This post describes the process and approach for submitting a new article to a publication. As an alternative, would you consider submitting a chapter or two from an existing book that you have written?

David

10. D. Arlene

I think it’s wonderful for you to share this. I looked at this several times for reference and it’s extremely helpful. I’m just starting to submit to magazines and the submission tracker is great as well.

11. Danae

Thank you so much for taking time to write this! You have been ever so helpful!

12. Marsha

Loved this article. Being new to all of this submission process, it answered a lot of my questions. Thank you

13. House

This was a great find and a great help! I had no clue how to start and now I’ve formatted my stories and poems and feel a bit more confident to let my pieces go out. Thank you so much.

14. B R Johnson

I found your site, magazine, through a post on Critique Circle. This is by far the best information I’ve seen on formatting and submitting for publication. Thanks very much. Have read your magazine and will be reading more. I think maybe some of my flash fiction would fit, but will be reading more stories here to be sure.

15. Mike

These simple steps will certainly boost your chances of getting published. It’s not a guarantee, but will help the odds.

16. Uwem Umana

This is very concise and clear. Thanks for posting this valuable information. Can you by any chance advise on how to do the word count. Or can I use the one generated by Word software?

• Krishan

Hi there. The wordcount as generated by your word processing software is almost always fine. Hope that helps!